Do you know of a youngster who needs the Journey of a Lifetime?
Since 1984, JoLt has been organising confidence-building, challenging expeditions for young people (14-21 years old) who are physically, medically, socially or emotionally disadvantaged. As a small, voluntary organisation, we are dedicated to making a positive, lasting difference to those most in need.
For many the journey is a life-transforming event, “jolting” them out of their old lives, helping them to grow in confidence and self-esteem and giving them the ability to take control of their future.
Trustees of JoLt are currently seeking nominations for the 2018 expedition across Peru, Ecuador and the Galapagos. The cost of the trip is met by the Trust, although we do encourage youngsters to do some additional fundraising where possible.
The group will consist of;
- Up to 18 physically, medically, emotionally or socially disadvantaged youngsters from the UK
- Six experienced leaders, including two doctors.
The closing date for nominations is 23rd November 2017.
Conditions for Qualification
The youngsters who go on JoLt 2018 must be:
- Aged 14-21 years.
- Physically, medically, emotionally or socially disadvantaged.
- Excited at the prospect of travelling to distant lands.
- Unlikely to have the opportunity to travel extensively without JoLt.
- Free from involvement with the law or police prior to the journey for any offence that they have committed.
- Not involved with drink, drug or solvent abuse.
- Willing to actively contribute to make the journey a success, and likely to significantly benefit from the 2018 “Journey of a Lifetime”.
The Trustees are particularly interested in taking youngsters who have one or more of the following disadvantages:
- deafness or hearing difficulties
- blindness or visual impairment
- a chronic medical condition or reduced life expectancies
- physical disabilities which may or may not require a manual wheelchair (users need to be reasonably mobile, unfortunately powered wheelchairs are not suitable for a journey of this type)
- not known normal family life
- struggled to overcome problems
- experienced neglect and abuse
- are young carers
Trustees welcome nominations of young people of every religion (or none) and of every race.
How to Nominate Youngsters
Please send TWO COPIES of the following:
(i) completed nomination form (the original copy and a photocopy)
(ii) letters giving reasons for nomination from each of the two responsible adults supporting this nomination (again the original copy and a photocopy)
(iii) a letter from the young person explaining why she/he wishes to go on the journey (the original copy and a photocopy)
(iv) the data protection form (the original copy and a photocopy)
To download the 2018 nomination form please click here.
To download the 2018 data protection form please click here.
Please note: Incomplete documentation may affect chance of a young person being selected.
Write as soon as possible and no later than 23rd November 2017 to:
Mr Simon Gruselle
Chair of Trustees
The Journey of a Lifetime Trust
The Old Forge, The Street
Herts WD4 9BH
- Closing date for nominations: 23rd November 2017
- Interviews: 10th February 2018
- Preparatory Weekend: 26th – 27th May 2018
- Departure: 14th July 2018 (provisional)
- Return: 10th August 2018 (provisional)