Two Qualified Female Doctors Needed
For our next trip in 2024 we are looking to recruit two Qualified Female Doctors to join expedition leadership team on the 2024 Journey of a Lifetime across South East Asia. We aim to travel through Cambodia and Vietnam, with the trip departing mid July – returning August 2024 (24 days, final dates TBC)
This is a volunteer post.
- MBChB/MBBS (or equivalent)
- Full UK GMC registration with no restrictions on their practice or equivalent registration in an EU country. (For UK trained, GMC registered doctors, this requires satisfactory completion of F1 and F2 years prior to the expedition departure date)
Desirable (but not essential)
- Expedition experience or extensive personal travel in remote areas/developing world locations is an advantage Advanced Trauma Life
- Support qualification (or equivalent such as PHTLS, PHECC, DipIMC, FIMC or DipMM)
- An enthusiasm for expeditions and the ability to convey this to young people
- Experience of taking groups of youngsters on outings especially abroad or with activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- Qualifications in outdoor education.
- to be good with youngsters
- to be team players
- to have a sense of adventure
- to be prepared for the hardships associated with travel in remote areas
- to have stamina and good level of fitness
- to have a sense of humour
Experience of youngsters with disabilities is not specifically sought. Six leaders including two doctors accompany each expedition. Four of the leaders have led one or more JoLt expeditions already. We require female doctors to give us an even number of male and female leaders to accompany the trip. All leaders are expected to help with the selection of youngsters for JoLt’24 (February 2024); to attend the Preparatory Weekend (May 2024); to participate in leader training days (June 2024) and to attend the expedition reunion (October 2024).
The expedition costs of leaders and youngsters are paid by the trust. The cost to JoLt for each individual to participate in the expedition is approximately £5,000. Leaders are encouraged to do some fundraising. The youngsters are given the challenge of raising at least £600.
If you are interested in applying to become a JoLt leader please send your CV with full contact details of two referees and a covering letter to reach Simon Gruselle, Chair of Trustees, on firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 12th May 2023. First interviews will be held via Zoom or Microsoft Teams with a second face to face interview in London in June 2023.
If you would like to find out more, then please look at our website, or email the Chair of Trustees to be put in touch with the Senior Leader, Andy Lowe.
Written and verbal references will only be taken up for candidates short-listed for interview. The trustees also carry out enhanced DBS checks on all leaders. Copies of key policies including child protection/safeguarding policy, leader code of conduct and anti-bullying policy can be found on www.jolttrust.org.uk